Monday 21 April 2008

Mind Control


I'm starting to worry. 

I think the confectionary industry is controlling my mind. Today after watching the new smarties advert twice... I felt an overwhelming urge to consume some Smarties. 

The blue smarties are back, and with it so is my consumerism. After last week's rant against buying food and consuming stuff, I cracked and spent 17p on 3 carrots. Ever since then it's been completely downhill culminating in buying a multi-pack of Smarties! Yes that's right folks! I have been a hypocrite. Tut tut tut. I had to buy a multi-pack, they don't sell single packs in the shop, and my compulsion was so strong that it had to be done. I am weak. 

It has been pointed out that mind control can't be at work, because I don't buy everything I see on television, but that's probably just because I don't have the money for everything I see, so my mind acts out by forcing me to buy Smarties. I also have a strong desire to get my child immunised. I know, I don't have a child! The other day, I wanted to buy a pizza! I don't like pizza! What's going on?!

I'm meant to be media-literate, and yet the advertisers are taking over my mind! No! This must stop. What is the answer? Is the answer to stop watching commercial television? Maybe it is, but then how am I supposed to watch old re-runs of Mock the Week?! Answer me that!!!

Do the advertisers define what we think or just what we think about? In our capitalist society product proliferation is so rife that there is no way we can make a sensible decision about which shampoo to use. If we were to give each a reasonable trial, we'd die before we decided on the best one to use. So the question is - choice, is it good or is it bad? It's good because we have lots of nice things to look at, lots of nice things to eat. But the problem is, we can't possibly choose which is the best, and we'll probably all get fat. 

I know this blog isn't very good and probably hasn't made much sense, but then I'm in a chocolate induced stupor. 

I think it's time to finish today's blog, before something else makes me want to buy something. Why can't I think for myself anymore? 

I'm off to have a Smartie Party. 

No comments: